The idea of a bridge across the Hudson River was first proposed in 1906, but it was not until 1925 that the state legislatures of New York and New Jersey voted to allow for the planning and construction of such a bridge. Construction on the George Washington Bridge started in October 1927; the bridge was ceremonially dedicated on October 24, 1931, and opened to traffic the next day. The opening of the George Washington Bridge contributed to the development of Bergen County, New Jersey, in which Fort Lee is located. The upper deck was widened from six to eight lanes in 1946. The six-lane lower deck was constructed beneath the existing span from 1958 to 1962 because of increasing traffic flow. (Excerpt:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington_Bridge)
GEORGE WASHINGTON BRIDGE
THE EARLY DAYS
The George Washington Bridge was designed by chief civil engineer Othmar Ammann, design engineer Allston Dana, and assistant chief engineer Edward W. Stearns, with Cass Gilbert as a consulting architect. It connects Fort Lee, Bergen County, New Jersey, with Washington Heights, Manhattan, New York.(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington_Bridge)
To view video, click on image.
Today's George Washington Bridge
Today's George Washington Bridge is a double-decked suspension bridge and is the world's most traveled bridge in the world. It is owned by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, a bi-state government agency that operates infrastructure in the Port of New York and New Jersey. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington_Bridge)